Het voormalig landgoed van Alice Delamar stond in 2004 weer te koop.
LOCATION: 5 Norfield Road in Weston.
HISTORY: Stonebrook, the former DeLamar estate, was built in 1930. This unusual home and its outbuildings were designed and lived in by world traveller Alice DeLamar, a generous patron of the arts who was also actively involved in social and environmental causes. In 1918, at the age of 23, Alice DeLamar became one of the richest young heiresses in America. As a result, when planning Stonebrook, she was able to incorporate many unique features into the home. Over the years this property has welcomed several well known figures from the art world, all friends of Ms. DeLamar, including choreographer George Balanchine and Russian artist Pavel Tchelitchew. The original owner of this house also had an extensive art collection which included work by author/illustrator and friend Ludwig Bemelmans. The current owners have completed extensive renovations and additions while carefully maintaining the original integrity of the property.
PROPERTY: 11.45 acres includes a 400 year old oak tree, hundreds of specimen trees, a babbling brook, gazebo, stone bridges, 66' x 36' inground pool with underground swim tunnel and fieldstone terraces, perennial gardens, wild flowers, meadows and manicured lawns.
HOUSE: The main house has three levels, with four bedrooms and five antique fireplaces. The living room, family room and 'English Smallbone' kitchen all have brick floors and there is a pub room with a four hundred year old pewter bar imported from France, the other half of which is in the Cobb's Mill Inn. (The inn, once a working mill, was converted into a restaurant by Ms. DeLamar.) There is a library with a half bath and a loft with a walk-in closet. There is also a 60 foot master bedroom with two fireplaces, balcony, wide plank pine floors and separate bath suites. Other features include: bulls-eye glass, in-laid brick floors, five hammered copper doors, spa area with Jacuzzi, dressing and fitness rooms, generator system, extensive security and outdoor lighting system, 1,000 bottle wine cellar and eight original mill stones from the Cobb's Mill Inn.
" Six-room "main cottage" with attached garage
" Six-room "corner cottage" with attached garage
" Two-stall barn with attached studio cottage
" Greenhouse with potting shed
" Three-room storage building
" Ground-care equipment garage
" Historic payroll office/shed
" Two stone pump houses
" Storage shed
GARAGE: Detached three-car garage with electric doors and half bath.
REALTOR: Camelot Real Estate.
Agent: Vickie Kelley and James T. Hogg. (203) 226-3568.